Choose your nearest store location

To be put in touch with one of our friendly and informative sales staff via the Live Chat facility,
please select the store nearest to you.

Contact Centre opening hours:
Mon-Fri 8am to 9pm , Sat 9am to 7pm, Sun 10:30 to 5pm

Print Page

Answers to a few common queries

1. Do I need to bring photographic ID with me to part-exchange my car?

The registered owner of the car must be present and bring some ID with them (a driver's licence or passport).

Back to top ^

2. Can I part-exchange a car that I do not own?

Yes, but you will require a letter of authorisation from the owner. The bank details must match the same name as the registered keeper on the V5 logbook/registration certificate. We also need three forms of ID for the owner (one original photo ID and two proof of address items dated in the last 3 months) and three forms of ID from the person selling the vehicle on their behalf (one original photo ID and two proof of address items dated in the last 3 months)

Back to top ^

3. Can I sell a deceased relatives car?

We realise this can be an incredibly emotional and stressful time. To help the process go smoothly, please make sure you have power of attorney or probate (instruction in the will of the vehicle being passed to you). We also legally need to see the death certificate, so please being this along too.

Back to top ^

4. Can my part exchange act as a deposit on a finance deal?

Yes, it can. We will still require a deposit to reserve the vehicle, however we will refund this on completion of purchase.

Back to top ^

5. I have outstanding finance against my car. Can you buy it?

We can arrange settlement of any outstanding finance on your car. Please note that you will need to provide an ‘in date’ letter detailing a current settlement figure from your finance company. The settlement amount will be deducted from the amount paid to you, for your car. We will pay your finance company within 4 working days after the day of sale, however it may take your finance company 5-10 working days to credit the funds to your account and provide final clearance.

Back to top ^

6. Do you buy cars with private registration plates and do I need to do anything to keep the plate?

Yes, we will, however, if you want to keep your private plate it's easy to reassign it to another car or to put the registration onto a retention certificate so that it can be sold or reassigned at a later date. You would need to complete this with the DVLA prior to selling to us.

To find out more about personalised registrations and locate your local DVLA office, visit the DVLA website.

Back to top ^

7. What do I need to bring with me to the appointment?

It's important that we establish that the person selling the vehicle is actually the owner, therefore we require the following details:

  • Three forms of identification. One must be an original photo ID such as a passport. You must also provide two proof of address items; accepted forms include a utility bill or council tax letter dated within the last 90 days. Please note they must match the name and address on the logbook.
  • Road Tax disc
  • Both sets of car keys if available. The valuation provided assumes you have 2 sets of keys for your vehicle unless you told us otherwise via the condition assessment. Please note if this is not the case and you only have one key for your vehicle the price we offer you after inspection may be reduced, for this reason
  • All service history and MOT certificates if available
  • Bank details
  • V5 logbook/registration certificate. If the V5 logbook/registration certificate is still in the owner's maiden name, you will need to bring a copy of your marriage certificate.
  • If the vehicle has any finance outstanding we will require a letter with the settlement figure from the finance company

Back to top ^

8. What happens to my Road Fund Licence?

We include any remaining Road Fund License in the valuation given for your part exchange.

Back to top ^

9. If I opt for home delivery can you collect my part exchange car?

Yes - as long as your part exchange vehicle is in a roadworthy condition with a current MOT and Road Fund License.

Back to top ^

10. Is the part-exchange valuation free?

Yes. There's no charge for this service just pop down to your nearest CarShop with the car you require to be valued.

Back to top ^

11. I'd like to part exchange more than one car. Is that possible?

Yes but we can only do this in store.

Back to top ^

12. Will you take any car in part exchange?

Put simply - Yes we will.

Back to top ^

13. Will you accept cars in part-exchange that do not drive?

Yes - provided that you arrange to bring them to one of our stores.

Back to top ^

14. Will you accept cars that have engine warning lights on?

Yes we will - in store only. For home delivery the vehicle must be roadworthy.

Back to top ^

15. What is the maximum mileage of a car that you will accept in part-exchange?

We will accept vehicles with any mileage.

Back to top ^

16. Can I just sell my car to CarShop?

Put simply, Yes. We will appraise your car and give you a fair market price for it based on its condition, age and mileage coupled with up-to-the-minute auction data. We can then buy your car from you at this price with no obligation to purchase another car from us. However we may be able to give you a better deal if you decide to purchase a new car from us using your part exchange as part of the deal.’

Back to top ^

17. If I make use of CarShop's 7 day money back guarantee, can I have my old car back?

We're afraid not. As soon as we accept a car in part exchange it is sent for resale. We will endeavour to return your vehicle but in most circumstances we will pay you back to the value of your part exchange.

Back to top ^

18. I want to buy a different CarShop car. Is my part exchange valuation still applicable?

If more than 7 days have elapsed since your part exchange valuation then you will need to start the process again and request a new valuation.

Back to top ^

19. What if my car is an import?

We will still buy your car as long as it is registered in the UK. Bear in mind that models and specifications vary from country to country, so the price may differ from that of a UK supplied car in some circumstances.

There are two types of import: a "parallel" import (i.e. purchased within the EU) and a "grey" import (i.e. purchased outside the EU). However, ‘Parralel’ & "grey" imports will require a manual valuation. If your car is a "grey" import it's not a problem - if you are unsure then please contact one of our agents.

Back to top ^

20. Can I sell a car on behalf of a company?

Yes, we will need you to bring along the following:

  • A form of photo identification for the person bringing the car
  • Letter signed from the company director giving authorisation for that person to sell on their behalf
  • Company account details e.g. bank paying in book or company bank statement
  • VAT Invoice (if VAT regeistered)
  • Two forms of identification for the business address
  • Road Tax disc
  • Both sets of car keys if available
  • All service history and MOT certificates if available
  • V5 logbook/registration certificate

Back to top ^

21. Do you buy cars that are registered outside the British Mainland?

Not at the moment, we only buy cars registered in mainland England, Scotland and Wales.

Back to top ^

22. What if I don’t have a V5 registration document?

We cannot purchase any car without the original V5 document (log book).

If you do not have one you can obtain a new document by filling in form V62 which you can download from the DVLA or pick up from any Post Office. The completed form and appropriate fee should be sent to DVLA, Swansea SA99 1AR. It normally takes 3 to 4 weeks to obtain a new V5.

Back to top ^

23. What if I owe more than the car is worth?

If you owe more on your finance than the value of the car, we will still be happy to buy the car, but you will need to pay us the shortfall by debit card when we purchase your car.

Back to top ^

24. I am not the owner of the vehicle. Will you pay money into my bank account?

No. We can only pay money to the legal owner of the vehicle. If you are acting as an agent on behalf of the owner then we will only make payment to the legal owner's instructed bank account.

Back to top ^

25. Will you collect my car?

No. Unfortunately we do not currently collect cars.

Back to top ^

We use cookies

We use cookies on this site to give you the very best user experience. Some of our cookies are essential, and the site will not work as expected without them. By using our site you accept the terms of our Cookie Policy