COVID-19 | Help & Support
What is a V5C?

What is a V5C?

Saffron Wilson

Saffron Wilson

  • 18 June, 2019
  • 2 min read

Every car that is registered in the UK will have a V5C registration document, although you may have heard it called a “logbook.”

The V5C shows who the current registered keeper of the car is; this is the person responsible for registering and taxing the car, but not who owns it. It will also show who the previous keeper was, how many changes of keeper there have been and all the technical details of the car, up to and including its registration (or number plate).

There are also sections that you can fill out when you need to change personal details, and others which you will need to complete if you sell the car. This can be done on the document itself and posted, or you can fill it out similarly online. The DVLA will then issue a new V5C within 2-4 weeks.

Completing a V5C when buying a used car

Usually, the person selling the car fills in the relevant areas after it has been sold. It doesn’t matter if you are buying or selling privately or from a dealership – this will still need to be done.

When buying a used car, the seller must:

  • Complete Section 6 of the V5C (new keeper or new name/address details)
  • Sign the declaration on the same page, the new keeper will have to do this too
  • Fill in Section 10, the New Keeper Supplement or V5C/2, and pass on to the new keeper (this can be used to tax the car online or in a post office)
  • Send the V5C to the DVLA

Selling/part-exchanging a car

If you are selling or part-exchanging your car with a dealership, you’ll be given a yellow slip called the V5C/3. This slip declares that you have sold your car to that dealership. You will be given this slip at car buying services, insurers or dismantlers too.

You then need to sign it and post it to the DVLA, or you can do it online using the unique reference number on the slip.

You’ll then be posted confirmation that you are no longer the registered keeper of the car, and you might even get notified that the DVLA owe you a car tax rebate!

Updating your V5C logbook

You must let the DVLA know if there are any of the following changes:

  • You change your name
  • You change your address
  • The car has been rebuilt or altered, e.g. has a different size engine, colour change

Section 6 on the V5C would be filled out if your personal details change, and Section 7 would be filled out if there are any notable changes to the vehicle.

Check out the government website for more details on changing your name and address.

What if you lose your V5C logbook?

You would need to get a V62 form, which can be found here, and pay a £25 fine. But, this is pretty necessary as you can’t sell your car if you don’t have a V5C.